Local Program Administrators
Program Related Hot Links
LPAs & Lenders
Renovate & Repair loans are provided to eligible homeowners by a PHFA-approved Local Program Administrator (LPA). Eligible Local Program Administrators include but are not limited to the following:
- County Housing Authorities.
- Housing Redevelopment Authorities.
- Community Action Agencies.
- Community Development Corporations.
- Housing Development Corporations.
- Other non-profit organizations with related housing experience.
This program is designed to help households with a combined household income no greater than approximately 150 percent of the statewide median income (adjusted upwards in high-cost areas) rehabilitate and/or improve their homes (R&R Income Limits). Borrowers' ability to repay loans is determined by the LPA either independently or with assistance from a local lender.
Not only does the R&R loan provide an attractive interest rate, it also provides the homeowner with the LPA's help in determining the repairs and/or improvements to be done. In this regard, the program provides much more than a loan–it provides peace of mind in knowing that the right home repairs are done and were completed in a timely manner with quality workmanship. The program is intended to finance renovations to improve the basic livability of the home, as well as repairs to items affecting health, safety, energy efficiency, accessibility, and code violations. Additions, and kitchen and bathroom remodeling are permitted uses of R&R loans, but luxury and purely cosmetic items such as hot tubs, pools, gazebos, etc., are not.
Why offer the R&R loan?
Benefits to the LPA/Lenders:
- Offers a flexible funding source to local community and housing organizations and lenders to help bolster community development efforts; curb predatory lending; and, improve the critical linkages between contractors, government programs, housing counseling, and Pennsylvania citizens.
- The program is another source of match and leverage when partnered with existing housing programs.
- Reach additional constituents.
- Strengthen partnerships with other organizations.
- Additional fee income.
The R&R loan differs from other home equity loans in many ways:
- No cash out.
- Limited maximum loan amount ($35,000).
- CLTV 120 percent.
- Total Debt to Income Ratio 45 percent.
- Guidance for the Borrower that needs help in prioritizing how to spend the funds.
- No 'preferred borrower' interest rates.
- Limited activities: home repair, improvement, or conversion back to single family home.
For more information on the next Information Session contact PHFA at 717.780.3871.
How can my organization offer the R&R loan?
LPAs are approved by PHFA to participate in the program through an open application process. The Invitation to Participate
, which includes the application, is available to all interested eligible parties. The application may also be obtained by contacting the Agency at 717.780.3871 or 1.800.822.1174, or in writing to PHFA, Homeownership Programs Division, 211 North Front Street, P.O. Box 8029, Harrisburg, PA 17105-8029.