- Sept. 30 is the last day to apply for CARES rent or mortgage assistance due to COVID-19. Watch here to learn if that deadline is extended.
- El 30 de septiembre es el último día para solicitar asistencia para el alquiler o la hipoteca de CARES debido a COVID-19. Mire aquí para saber si esa fecha límite se extiende.
The CARES Pandemic Mortgage Assistance Program (PMAP)
ATTENTION: Sept. 30 is the last day to apply for CARES rent or mortgage assistance due to COVID-19. If you mail your application packet, it will be accepted if it is postmarked by Sept. 30. *** Watch here to learn if the Sept. 30 deadline is extended. ***
IMPORTANT: Before you apply for homeowner's assistance, please download this Application checklist to make sure you send all required documents.
Failure to send a complete application packet will delay processing of your submission and slow receipt by you of any mortgage assistance, if you qualify. Please use this checklist to make sure you are sending all required documentation and ensure the fastest receipt possible of CARES financial aid to help with your past-due mortgage payment(s).
GET YOUR ASSISTANCE FASTER! We have created a SHORT 4 MINUTE VIDEO to help ensure that when you submit your materials they are complete so you get your mortgage relief assistance as quickly as possible. We strongly encourage you to watch this brief video before you begin work on your application.
The Federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act, passed in March, provided $3.9 billion for Pennsylvania and is intended to help people hurt economically during the pandemic. In late May, the General Assembly directed $175 million of these CARES dollars to PHFA to provide assistance for struggling renters and homeowners. The portion for mortgage assistance is $25 million.
Below you will find the application needed to request CARES mortgage relief. Links are also provided to additional helpful information.
You will submit your application and supporting paperwork to the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA) for review, following instructions in the application.
PHFA is now accepting completed applications for mortgage assistance.
Steps to apply:
OPTION ONE is completely online and the fastest method:
- Click on the link for the online application, provided below.
- Complete the application completely online.
- Submit your application online and wait to hear back from PHFA on whether your application is complete. You’ll be notified if additional information is needed.
OPTION TWO is paper-based:
- Click on the link for the downloadable PMAP application for printing and mailing.
- Download the application.
- Use the fillable fields option, or print the application and fill it out with a pen.
- Mail your application back to PHFA using the address at the top of the form. It cannot be emailed.
- Wait to hear back from PHFA about whether your application is complete. You’ll be notified if additional information is needed.
Pandemic Mortgage Assistance Program Application Documents:
- Online PMAP Application
- Downloadable PMAP Application for Printing and Mailing
- Application checklist
- Instructional video to help you complete your application properly
Additional CARES PMAP Resources:
- CARES Pandemic Mortgage Assistance Program Guidelines
- PMAP Fact Sheet
- County Income Limits
- PMAP Frequently Asked Questions
- June 17 CARES Assistance Press Release
PHFA's call center is available weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to assist the public and help with questions about the CARES Pandemic Mortgage Assistance Program. The toll-free number is 1-855-U-Are-Home (827-3466). Callers should listen for the prompt mentioning CARES assistance for homeowners.
All assistance is subject to the availability of funds.