- Important Alert: PHFA employees will be working remotely until further notice in an effort to slow the spread of the coronavirus.
As a result, all PHFA offices are currently closed to the public.
HEMAP Information for Homeownership Professionals
Pennsylvania Foreclosure Prevention Act 91 of 1983
Homeowners' Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program (HEMAP) is a program to prevent mortgage foreclosure. Act 91 of 1983 requires lenders to notify their mortgagors of the Program. If the mortgagor applies within the required timeframe, no legal action should be taken until a decision is made on the application or the process becomes untimely.
Appendices & Notices
Appendices / Act 91 Notice
On April 30, 2016, PHFA has revised the combined Act 6/Act 91 Notice ("Notice") used for the Homeowners' Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program. The Act 91 Advisory Letter below provides more detail. The Notice is now required in English and Spanish and in addition, we have made translated versions available in Cambodian/Khmer, Chinese, Russian and Vietnamese for use when lenders are aware that the customer is likely to communicate in any of those alternative languages.
- * Act 91 Advisory Notice Update - 7/2016
- ** Act 91 Advisory Letter – 4/2016
- Act 91 Notice – Appendix A (effective 4/30/2016)
- Act 91 Notice – Appendix A (prior to 4/30/2016)
- Act 91 Notice – As a fillable form (effective 4/30/2016)
- Act 91 Notice – Cambodian/Khmer
- Act 91 Notice – Chinese
- Act 91 Notice – Russian
- Act 91 Notice – Vietnamese
- Appendix B – Counseling Agency Notice to Lenders
- Appendix C – Approved HEMAP Counseling Agencies
- HEMAP NOTICE: PHFA Issues Advisory About CFPB – 120 days
- Homeowner Assistance Settlement Act (Act 70 of 2012)
- Legal Fees - 2016 Hourly Reimbursement Rate
- Legal Fees - Reimbursement Policy
On December 26, 2020, a notice was published in the PA Bulletin seeking public comment on an amendment to the Homeowners' Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program Guidelines to define "face-to-face" as "A meeting conducted either in-person or remotely using technological means, through which the applicant and consumer credit counseling agency communicate with each other contemporaneously, both audibly and visually". It also makes related amendments to the uniform Act 91 Notice. The Agency invites public comment on the proposed amendment. Comments, suggestions or objections may be submitted, in writing only, to Leonidas Pandeladis, Chief Counsel, PHFA, 211 North Front Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101, by fax at 717.614.2679 or by email to HEMAPComments@phfa.org. All written comments must be received by February 9, 2021. The final revised Guidelines will be published in the PA Bulletin with a proposed effective date after consideration of comments received.
We have made revisions to the HEMAP Policy Statement found below. This update was published in the PA Bulletin 4/30/2016 and will be codified in PA 31.201.
- 2021 Interest Rate, Legal Fee Reimbursement Rate and Counseling Agency Update Schedule
- 2020 Interest Rate, Legal Fee Reimbursement Rate and Counseling Agency Update Schedule
- 2019 Interest Rate, Legal Fee Reimbursement Rate and Counseling Agency Update Schedule
- Act 91 Notice and Policy Statement Update 4/2016
- PHFA announces adjustment to HEMAP program rules as a result of the current period of high unemployment